Saturday, August 13, 2005

annual vacation

...So I visited the place, the city I've lived for a larger part of my life...we called it 'home'...or should I say we used to associate the place with a certain feeling of harmony...where everything comes together...binds...where my parents are...and my siblings and made siblings are...aunties...friends...dyslexic enemies...familiar looking places...where to eat the right ice-cream of a certain flavour...what is the shortcut to take you home in times of a curfew or a blast in the city...how to cope with the worst traffic with my half-dead car...where I used to dream...where all my schools are...where I notice trees I've been with for hours...trees I have photographed in a fine season for my photography class...where I prayed to God and nearly got nowhere with it...and then suddenly I got everything everybody else wanted me to have...and what I thought would just be a minor turn, a mere adjustment: could mount to such a void...a silence...the best and the worst is when you can't differentiate...you can't tell if it is really happening...or not...and then you wait for it to happen...and it doesn't and you can't tell if it has already taken place...I did not know and I still don't...but I care...and now I can't say I don't...

m

2 Comments:

Blogger MARIAM SUHAIL said...

so the post i wrote was very depressing and i think it rubbed off and i apologize for that. Things got better the next day and by the end of the two weeks, i was back in the city finally but unfortunately had to leave.

But about trees and routes and things that happened around those trees and those routes, its either something in the air, or we're at that age in our lives, or in that age in the world, when its all becoming so significant that images and voices and sounds and memories pop out like an illustrated stroll through history. Its become oddly significant as if theres something poignant that needs to be looked at or reviewed or thought about right now.

12:58 AM  
Blogger MARIAM SUHAIL said...

i think i missed your birthday. happpy birthday misbah!!!

12:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home